Tuesday, June 13, 2023

LGBTQ workers are at the forefront of Chicago’s labor resurgence

‘You have to learn to stick up for yourself’
Jordan Parshall first got involved in political activism in his early teens growing up in Minnesota. In 2012, a proposed constitutional amendment would have defined marriage as between a man and a woman in the state. Parshall, who had realized he was gay, felt compelled to volunteer for the ‘vote no’ campaign, which ultimately prevailed. “I wanted what my parents had. My parents were happily married,” said Parshall, who now works for Intelligentsia Coffee in Chicago and as an organizer for the baristas’ union, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1220. “I wanted to get married, and when I was growing up, I couldn’t do that. And so that kind of activated the spark for me.”
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Drift

Welcome to today's issue of Carolina Naturally 'Nuff Said! Today is June 21, 2023 Today is:   World Music Day On This Day In History...