Monday, February 13, 2023

Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism

When I was a kid, I remember someone pointing and laughing at a girl at our school - someone I always thought was really cool and fun - because 'her mum and dad walk around naked'.
That was my first introduction to naturism. And I remember thinking that it was a weird thing to criticise someone for.
I subsequently learned that there are special places where people go specifically to get naked together, because to stroll through The Maltings sans clothes would be against the law. And what's more there is nothing sexual about it.
So, when the opportunity arose to visit British Naturism's Sunfolk facility in How Wood I thought I'd take the plunge.
Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
Naturistplace sums it up like this:
Laura, who’s British, recalls how others at her school made fun of a girl because “her mum and dad walk around naked”. She remembers “thinking that it was a weird thing to criticise someone for.” Having an unfavorable attitude towards simple nudity just seemed strange. She realized later, as an adult, that there are places it’s possible to be nonsexually naked with others, and nobody will object or complain. So, when she learned about such a place, she decided to “take the plunge”.
Since Laura had no significant negative attitude towards simple nudity, it’s unsurprising she wasn’t that leery of giving it a try at British Naturism’s Sunfolk facility. Even so, she admits having “much pre-stripping nervousness” before arriving. This is very common and normal even for people who are comfortable being naked at home but haven’t yet visited an actual naturist camp or resort. The fear is that the management and frequent visitors will be less than fully welcoming to new visitors. At most contemporary naturist places, the fear is entirely unjustified – but who’s confident of that ahead of the first visit?
Once inside the facility, some uncertainties remained. Laura wondered “Why am I doing this?! What is my mum going to think of the pictures in the paper?! I’m sure this was never in the lifeplan she never actually created for me.” [Laura’s a newspaper reporter and expected to document her story with pictures.] But once those concerns dissipated and the clothes were off, she could “walk across the grass and I feel about as self-conscious as I would if I had a bikini on. Except I don’t.” And when the time came to get dressed before leaving, “it’s with a surprising degree of reluctance.”
If only more people who’ve enjoyed nudity only by themselves at home or in a secluded place outdoors could realize that naturist social nudity with others is just as easy – and even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Drift

Welcome to today's issue of Carolina Naturally 'Nuff Said! Today is June 21, 2023 Today is:   World Music Day On This Day In History...